This tutorial will show how to create a listener in Altair SmartCore. We suppose you know the basics of working in Altair SmartCore. If you are a newcomer you might want to visit the Get started with Altair SmartCore tutorial and Altair SmartCore entities documentation page.
A listener in Altair SmartCore can be associated to any hierarchy entity, from Project to Device. If you associate a listener to a project, all devices below the services of that project will be affected. If you associate a listener to service, all devices below the groups of that services will be affected. And so on.
For example, one listener may be assigned to the parking@smartcore service so all devices below the groups floor1@smartcore and floor2@smartcore will be affected, supposing those groups belongs to the parking@smartcore service.
A listener wait for an event to occur in the context of a device and then evaluate its content. For example you have a listener “listening” data_received events for all movement sensors of group ceiling@smartcore.
- Name, for easy location
- Associated entity
- Event to listen
- If expression: when the event occurs in the associated device context this expression is evaluated to determine which execution path it must take. This expression is a Groovy expression. You have the context of the event to work with.
- Then expression is executed when “if expression” is evaluated to true.
- Then rule (if any) is executed when “if expression” is evaluated to true.
- Else expression is executed when “if expression” is evaluated to false.
- Else rule (if any) is executed when “if expression” is evaluated to false.
- Be sure to have your listener enabled if you want it to be executed
In this tutorial we will follow a simple example:
Suppose we have a RFID card reader called rfidreader@smartcore. Each read will send us a data stream with the RFID tag.
The data stream will contain the following information:
We want to send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org when the RFID tag read is not 12345 and send an open door signal otherwise.
For the purpose of this example, the open door signal is a simple request to the following URL http://control.entrance:9090/openDoor?token=123456789
To create a listener go to the control panel, then to “Rules” → “Listeners” and click on the new button. Select "Device" as "Entity type" and then locate rfidreader@smartcore in the "Id" box.
The listener will "listen" "data_received" event.
When Altair SmartCore receives a data stream from that device it will fire the execution path beginning with "if_expression".
Fill the fields and save the new listener.
- Create a listener from device
Its time to test our new listener. Send a data stream to this device:
Send the stream (check your apikey at your account page):
Check your email!
Change the payload: