Project submission date expired April 4th 2013.
Thanks to all participants for joining Altair SmartCore community, we love your ideas!
The winner will be announced on April 11th 2013.
Even if the challenge is now over, the submission form will stay operational. We love to hear about new ideas and IoT projects related to Altair SmartCore, so if you want to share yours with the community we encourage you to submit it and we will publish it in our "Cool projects" section. If the project is really good we will contact you to offer the financial and technical support to launch it as a product through crowd-founding or even private funds.
Calling all the Internet of Things enthusiast, Makers, Creative Designers, Electric Engineers, Software Engineers, Toy Designers and kids! Here is a challenge for you. We are organizing a contest to elect the best stuffed-toy using the Internet of Things. Any maker, or team of makers, can create their toy and submit it to our contest. The winner will get a prize of $250 (USD) in a gift voucher from Amazon, and the possibility of additional financing to present the project to a crowd-funding platform. Submit your project before April 4th 2013. An independent jury will elect the winner on April 11th 2013.
- Challenge Description
- Prize for the winner
- Who can participate
- Minimum Requested Features for a project
- Ways to submit a project
- Challenge launch date:
- Deadline to submit a project
- Winner selection
- Criteria to select a winner
- Project’s intellectual property
- Developers Altair SmartCore support
- Optional promotion and support to winner to launch a crowd-funding project
- Challenge organisation and Promotion
- Terms and Conditions to participate in this Challenge (apart from the described above)
At AltairSmartCore.com we want people to create amazing new products by connecting simple objects to the Internet and creating applications for them on Altair SmartCore. In order to promote that vision, we are organizing our first development challenge open to anyone around the world. Imagine how an Internet stuffed-toy should be and create it.
- Should it be a teddy bear that tells stories to kids, recorded by grandpa thousands of miles away?
- Could it be a sock monkey that teaches maths to kids?
- Perhaps you want to build a Good Night Bunny toy that watches over your baby’s sleep and warns you in case of fever?
- Maybe it can be all of that; or something completely new.
Get creative, build a prototype and present it to our contest. You can win a gift voucher from Amazon and if the prototype is really good, we can even give you additional support to present your product to a crowd-funding platform and make it a real product! TOP
The idea of this challenge is very simple: create a prototype of a stuffed-toy that connects to the Internet (using some hardware platform like Arduino or Raspberry –Pi, you are free to choose, or even combine them) and build an App on Altair SmartCore to provide some of the minimum requested features.
- You are free to choose the design of the toy: a teddy bear, a bunny, a Domo Kun, your own monster design or carrot.
- You are free to choose the electronics used for the prototype but it must fit inside the stuffed-toy. You can use a Raspberry-Pi (http://www.raspberrypi.org/), or an Arduino,(http://www.arduino.cc/), or a Beagleboard (http://beagleboard.org/), or a Gooseberry (http://gooseberry.atspace.co.uk/), or a Parallella (http://www.adapteva.com/) , or any other similar platform. Create a super cool stuffed toy by adding more electronics, like buttons, sensors, a display, a speaker, etc…
- You can build any additional functionality you want, but you have to implement the minimum requested features of the challenge (described below).
- You can use any connection type to the Internet on the stuffed-toy: WiFi, 3G or even Ethernet.
- You can use our FREE account on Altair SmartCore to develop the application for your prototype. You use it for device management, integration with Twitter or Dropbox, or even send SMS and emails for FREE.
- We have created a demo prototype ourselves using a Raspberry-Pi as an example you can improve (check below).
There will be only 1 winner who will get a Gift Voucher of 250$ (USD) from Amazon.com. If the winner is a team of individuals, they will share the prize and the gift voucher will be sent by email to team contact person.
Any person over 18 years old, or team of participants with at least one member over 18 can participate in the contest without any cost.
The contact person of a team must be over 18 years old.
Participants can reside in any country around the world and their local laws must let them participate in this contest.
- Build a stuffed toy working prototype.
- Use Altair SmartCore platform as part of the stuffed toy’s application.
- Record a video showing the stuffed toy’s functionalities and upload it to the Internet either through YouTube, Vimeo or Dropbox.
- Submit the prototype description along with the video link to the contest page on Altair SmartCore (http://www.altairsmartworks.com/smartcore/developers/cool_project/challenge1) before April 4th 2013.
The stuffed toy must implement at least all of the following features with an application developed on AltairSmartCore.com :
- The stuffed toy tells the kid a tale (either with video or sound) recorded by their parents or grand parents: The stuffed toy will get the file playlist from Altair SmartCore and its integration with Dropbox. The toy owner (parents or gran parents) will record a video or audio file and store it in their Dropbox account. See an example on our demo project.
Configure the stuffed toy using Altair SmartCore: Use Altair SmartCore Device Management module to configure the stuffed toy’s properties like:
- Name of girl or boy using the toy: A program installed on the toy to customize the dialogs with the kid can use this. See an example on our demo project.
- Other parameters of the toy: like toy’s working hours. Example: the toy should remain inactive between 8PM and 8AM.
Participants must submit the prototype description a long with the video link to the contest page on Altair SmartCore (http://www.altairsmartworks.com/smartcore/developers/cool_project/challenge1) before April 4th 2013 at 23:59 Madrid (Spain) time.
Participants will get a confirmation of their proposal by email.
The launch date of this contest or challenge is the 7th of February 2013 TOP
All projects descriptions must be submitted before April 4th 2013 at 23:59 Madrid (Spain) time. TOP
A jury chosen by Altair SmartCore will select the challenge winner. The jury members (not related to Altair SmartCore) will be announced before April 1st 2013.TOP
Jury members will evaluate proposals according to the following criteria:
- Design creativity.
- Potential to become a real product.
- Features based on Altair SmartCore functionalities.
The participant or team of participants will retain all the intellectual property of their product and design. TOP
The participant or team of participants will retain all the image rights of their product and design. The participant or team of participants will grant image rights to Altair Engineering, Inc. to use it in marketing and promotional material, in any media and for an unlimited time, without any cost. TOP
The participant or team of participants will retain all the image rights of their product and design. The participant or team of participants will grant image rights to Altair Engineering, Inc. to use it in marketing and promotional material, in any media and for an unlimited time, without any cost.
- We have made a demo project based on Raspberry, which can be your starting point. We provide a project description with the electronic design, embedded software, code on Altair SmartCore and code for a front-end webpage.
- We have prepared a section on our forum, where you can post questions and our developers will answer you.
- We will organize a workshop at IoT Madrid, some time in March to help developers. That workshop will be also transmitted on a Google Hangout or a similar streaming platform.
If Altair SmartCore management thinks the winning prototype is really good, we will contact the winner and offer financial and technical support to launch the product on a crowd-funding platform like Kickstarter.com or similar. Altair SmartCore is committed to support IoT makers community. TOP
This contest is organised by Altair Engineering, Inc. at Spain.
Additional organisation and support is done by IoT Madrid group (http://www.meetup.com/iotmadrid/ ). Thank you Cesar and Sara for your support! TOP
- By submitting a project to the contest, the participant or participants (in case of a team) explicitly accept these terms and conditions.
- Any person over 18 years old, or team of participants with at least one member over 18 can participate in the contest without any charge.
- Altair Engineering, Inc. as the main organizer of this challenge, or contest, can change the terms and conditions of this contest without prior notice. If any change is made to the terms and conditions of this contest, the new information will be published in Altair SmartCore website.
- The prizewinner is responsible to pay any tax that may affect for winning the prize.
- The participants allow Altair SmartCore team to inspect its account activity in order to check the correct behaviour or the submitted prototype.
Domo Kun is trademark and copyright of NHK