- 0. Introduction
- 1. Steps to Connect with IFTTT
- 2. Send data from Altair SmartWorks to IFTTT using a listener
- 3. From here on: Enhancing the project
If you are a IFTTT user, you can send data from Altair SmartWorks to your IFTTT account and do a variety of things.
This easy tutorial helps you to send streams to your IFTTT account and using a Recipe update a Google Spreadsheet.
In this project you will learn how to:
- Connect Altair SmartWorks with IFTTT to send data streams using a listener
- Update a Google Spreadsheet with data received in Altair SmartWorks
Before starting, you need to take some previous steps on IFTTT.
You should have a valid IFTTT account to use the platform. If you don't have one, visit the following URL: (create IFTTT account) and create an account.
You will also need to connect to a Maker Channel. You can do it by clicking on the Channels tab in the menu, once logged into your account.
- IFTTT Channels Tab
Then click on the Marker Channel and connect to it.
- IFTTT Maker Channel
- IFTTT Maker Channel Connect
You will need the Key of the Maker Channel.
- IFTTT Maker Channel Connected
You also need to connect with Google Drive Channel.
- IFTTT Google Drive Channel Connect
- IFTTT Google Drive Channel Connected
The next step is create a Recipe to do an action when Maker Channel receives information from Altair SmartWorks. To do this click in My Recipes in the menu.
- IFTTT My Recipes Tab
Then select Create a Recipe.
- IFTTT Create a Recipe
Click on the word “This” and select Maker Channel. Then select Receive a web request.
- IFTTT This Condition
Enter a name for the event, for example, Tutorial.
- IFTTT Event name
Click on the word “That” and select Google Drive Channel. Then select Add row to spreadsheet.
- IFTTT That Consequence
Enter the Spreadsheet name and customize the format of the row (The Spreadsheet will be modified on your Google Drive account specified in the IFTTT account).
- IFTTT Form Add row to Spreadsheet
Verify the Recipe data and finish the creation.
- IFTTT Finish creation
We have enhanced the listener creation process with our Flow Tool.
Now we will build a listener in Altair SmartWorks to send data to IFTTT everytime we receive a Stream with the values “temperature” and “humidity” in the data.
In the Flow editor we'll only need drag & drop a "function" node and add our custom code since this tutorial is not intended to explain the details of the Flow Tool. For a deeper vision of the tool please read its documentation or our "How to create a listener" tutorial.
- Flow designer: function node
After saving it, your listener will look something like this.
- Resulting listener
The listener will "listen" to the "data_received" event.
- Stream list of sent data
- Spreasheet results
Now you know how to connect Altair SmartWorks with IFTTT to send data streams using a listener and how to update a Google Spreadsheet with that data. But you can enhance this project in many ways:
- Make a calculation of aggregate data (average, maximum, minimum)
- Connect with other website like Weather.com and compare your values with his data